Recruiting a New COO for a
Large, Multi-location Practice
Eye Associates of Southern Indiana is a large, multi-location ophthalmic practice located in the Louisville, Ky. / Jeffersonville, Ind. area founded by Brad Black, M.D. The practice consists of five ophthalmologists and nine optometrists serving various locations in Southern Indiana and Kentucky.
Eye Associates of Southern Indiana approached BSM in June 2013, seeking assistance in recruiting a new chief operating officer to manage day-to-day operations of the practice and ambulatory surgery center, as well as to implement the organization’s strategic business plan.
BSM worked with the practice owners and management team to:
- Perform a comprehensive needs assessment for the organization
- Outline the specific skillset needed from an ideal candidate, which included experience in a leadership role, financial management, clinical operations, human resource management, and new business development
- Create a job description and salary range appropriate for the position
Recruitment Initiation: After the assessment was completed, BSM began the formal recruitment process for the new COO. BSM handled all stages of the recruitment process including:
- Posting the position on numerous career websites
- Tracking and communicating with applicants
- Reviewing the candidates
- Selecting the top group for initial phone screenings
Interview Process: BSM facilitated the interview process with the top group of candidates. This process consisted of three phases:
- Initial Phone Screenings: BSM conducted phone interviews with the top 10 candidates.
- Practice Phone Interviews: The top three candidates went through a secondary phone interview with the practice owners facilitated by BSM. BSM performed reference checks during this phase.
- Onsite Interviews: BSM was brought onsite to lead the top two candidates through a one-day interview with the practice owners and management team.
Candidate Hired: After a consensus was reached on the top candidate, BSM assisted the practice in developing an employment offer and then served as the primary interface with the candidate on salary and benefits negotiations. Within five months of project initiation, a qualified COO was hired.
Click here to learn more about how leadership placement services can help your practice.