Finding A New COO For A Large, Multi-location Ophthalmic Practice
Eye Associates of Southern Indiana is a large, multi-location ophthalmic practice located in the Louisville, KY / Jeffersonville, IN area founded by Brad Black, M.D. The practice consists of five ophthalmologists and nine optometrists serving various locations in Southern Indiana and Kentucky.
Eye Associates of Southern Indiana approached BSM in June 2013 seeking assistance in recruiting a new Chief Operating Officer to manage the day-to-day operations of the practice and ambulatory surgery center as well as implementing the organization’s strategic business plan.
BSM worked with the practice owners and management team to:
- Perform a comprehensive needs assessment for the organization
- Outline the specific skillset needed from the ideal candidate which included experience in a leadership role, financial management, clinical operations, human resource management, and new business development
- Create a job description and salary range appropriate for the position
Recruitment Initiation: After the assessment was completed, BSM began the formal recruitment process for the new COO. BSM handled all stages of the recruitment including:
- Posting of the position on numerous career websites
- Tracking and communicating with applicants
- Reviewing the candidates
- Selecting the top group for initial phone screenings
Interview Process: BSM facilitated the interview process with the top group of candidates. This process consisted of three phases:
- Initial Phone Screening: BSM conducted phone interviews with the top 10 candidates.
- Practice Phone Interviews: The top 3 candidates went through a secondary phone interview with the practice owners facilitated by BSM. BSM performed reference checks during this phase.
- Onsite Interviews: BSM was brought onsite to lead the top 2 candidates through a one-day interview with the practice owners and management team.
Candidate Hired: After consensus was reached on the top candidate, BSM assisted the practice in developing an employment offer and then served as the primary interface with the candidate on salary and benefits negotiations. Within 5 months of project initiation, a qualified COO was hired.